Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
In 1862 the Fence Colliery Company was formed to purchase the colliery, this leading to a period of development of the colliery and the building of houses for its workers. These were built along Falconer Lane, on the opposite side of the main road to the colliery, and are still in use.
In 1875 the Directors of the Fence Colliery Co leased land in the area from the Duke of Norfolk and the Fence Colliery Company was renamed Rother Vale Collieries, owning Orgreave, Fence and Treeton collieries.