Ferbane Power Station
Ferbane Power Station of Ferbane, Co. Offaly, Ireland.
Owned by the Electricity Supply Board of Ireland
1953 Construction commenced.
1957 The station was developed to use milled peat as fuel. It had three boilers, each of which was coupled to a 20 MW turbo-alternator. The first set was commissioned in 1957.
By 1960 two other generating stations similar to Ferbane are under construction at Rhode (80 MW) and Bellacorick (40 MW) and Ferbane will be extended to 90 MW.
1961 The second stage of development commenced in June 1961 and was commissioned in January 1964.
At its peak in the 1970s and 1980s, the station burned 2,000 tonnes of Irish peat daily, producing about 2 million units of electricity daily when its four units were at full load.
Fore technical information see Ferbane PR Pamphlet, (1970s)