Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Industrial holding company, of Cleveland Row, St James, London.
1950 On 1 November British Lead Mills changed its name to Firth Cleveland. A new company British Lead Mills was formed on the same date to carry on the business of the old one.. Included in the new group was Firth Co.
1954 Public offer of shares - an industrial holding company, with interests in metals and engineering but having the intention to broaden its scope.. Owned, amongst others, Firth Cleveland (Machine Tools) Ltd of Wolverhampton, successor to a company formed in 1939.
1955 Acquired Richard Hill and Co as result of its denationalization. Also owned Keeton, Sons and Co, R. E. Roberts and Son, Landmaster of Hucknall, Notts, and retailers Max Stone and Wolfe and Hollander..
1958 The Steel Strip Company (Charles Tipton) was renamed Firth Cleveland Steel Strip, the company expanded to become the UK's leading producer of hardened and tempered steel strip..
1958 Firth Cleveland Instruments was expanding in electronics for fluid flow measurement; licensed Gilbarco deep tank electric contents gauge from Gilbert and Barker Manufacturing Co, of Springfield USA, a subsidiary of Standard Oil Company
1959 Industrial holding company with 27% of investments in engineering, 12% in electronics and instruments, 27% in steel, 5% in lead and 29% in retail. 25% of the ordinary shares offered to the public. Also owned Firth Cleveland Pumps Ltd. Acquired Sheffield Wire Rope Co.
1959 Subsidiaries included:
1960 Acquired the Broadmead Group (retail chain) and 53% of Solartron Electronic Group. Acquired J. J. Habershon and Sons from the denationalisation of the Iron and Steel Corporation of Great Britain; Firth Cleveland Steel Strip was a customer of Habershon for its high carbon strip..
1960 Licensees of Surform tools from Firth, Brown Tools Ltd. Steel companies J. J. Habershon and Sons, Tenuous Steel Co, and Firth Cleveland Steel Strip collected under new company Firth Cleveland Steel.
Firth Cleveland Tools Ltd of Stornoway House, St. James, London, SW1.
1961 Parent of 20 subsidiaries. Employs 10,000 persons.
1961 Firth Cleveland failed in its attempt to purchase the remaining shares in Solartron Electronic Group. Then sold its shareholding to Schlumberger Inc of USA. In view of poor profits, decided to exit instrumentation and sold Firth Cleveland Instruments to Elliott Automation but the business would continue from the same site under the name Elliott (Treforest).
1972 GKN acquired Firth Cleveland for its complementary interests in hot and cold rolled strip, sintered products, reinforcements, wire fasteners and garage equipment; GKN had not decided what to do with the retail side of the business
1939 Firth Cleveland (Machine Tools) Ltd was successor to a company formed in 1939.
1955 Two separate branches of the business: - one served garages with Wandess servicing equipment; the other supplied intricate tools and equipment to the aircraft industry. As well as supplying equipment that Stenor sold, it also served as the research and development facility for special purpose machine tools for the rest of the group.