Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Firth of Clyde Dry Dock Co Ltd , Inchbank, Greenock
1958 incorporated as a limited liability company to build a 1000 foot dry dock, capable of holding ships of 150.000 dwt. The company was financed by government loan, banks and insurance companies, and also by the Clyde shipbuilding firms of John Brown and Co (Clydebank) Ltd , Charles Connell and Co Ltd, John Kincaid, Scotts of Greenock, and G. and J. Weir. Representatives from these formed the board.
1964 The business opened and operated as dry dock owners and ship repairers.
1966 The Company asked for financial help from the government without result. None of the founding companies helped publicly
1967 the company was put into liquidation
The firm was then purchased by Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd , Greenock, and Lithgows Ltd , Port Glasgow, on a 50/50 shareholding basis. The company name was changed to Scott Lithgow Drydocks Ltd