Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,348 pages of information and 230,029 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Francis Charles Miers (1821-1908)
1862 Francis Charles Miers, Engineer, Wellington Road, Birmingham.
1871 Civil engineer, living in Balham with Susan M Miers 45 (born in Brazil), Edwd J Miers 19, Annie E Miers 17, Catherine E Miers 14, Julia M Miers 6
1908 Obituary 
FRANCIS CHARLES MIERS, the second son of the engineer and botanist John Miers, F.R.S., was born on 30th Juno 1821, at Concou, near Valparaiso, Chile.
In 1827 he came to England and after a school education was placed at the late John Hague's factory, under the late Mr. (subsequently Sir Frederick) Bramwell, and completed his apprenticeship at the marine-engine works of Messrs. Miller and Ravenhill in Shadwell.
In 1842 he entered the drawing office of Messrs. Fox, Henderson and Co., London Works, Smethwick and after two years' service, wishing to obtain marine experience, he obtained the appointment of engineer on board the "Tagus," the first P. and O. steamer fitted with tubular boilers, in order to report on their efficiency.
In December 1844 he went to Brazil to join his brother, the late Mr. J. W. Miers, and was at first engaged in the interior erecting machinery, water-wheels, etc.; the following year they established their engineering works at Rio de Janeiro.
In 1848 he accepted the appointment of engineer to the Ponta d'Area Foundry and Shipbuilding Works, established on the opposite side of the Bay of Rio, chiefly for the execution of Government work. There he organised the workshops and was busily engaged during the five following years in building steamships, casting water-pipes for the first supply of water to Rio de Janeiro, in the construction of machinery of various descriptions, and in general engineering work.
In 1853 he visited England, and in the following year rejoined his brother at their Rio works which had now attained considerable importance for steamship repair, building of steam vessels for coast and river service, and the construction of machinery for the interior. They also undertook Government contracts for the erection of slip roof sand other iron structures in the dockyard, marine boilers, dredging boats, lighthouses, etc.
The lighthouse for the Abrolhos was constructed under Mr. Miers' personal supervision in England in 1860, and erected by him on those reefs in the following year.
He left Brazil in 1862, and in 1866, in conjunction with his brother-in-law, established the mercantile and engineering firm of Fry, Miers and Co., in London, where he was busily engaged in ordering and inspecting the construction of steam-vessels, locomotives, rolling- stock, bridge-work, &c., for railways and other native undertakings in Brazil.
He retired from business in 1887.
His death took place, after six months' illness, on 20th February 1908, at his residence in Beckenham, in his eighty-seventh year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1862.
1908 Obituary 
FRANCIS CHARLES MIERS, second son of the late Mr. John Miers, F.R.S., was born on the 30th June, 1821, at Concou, near Valparaiso, Chile.
He was educated in England and commenced his practical training at the works of Mr. John Hague, under Mr. (afterwards Sir) Frederick Bramwell, completing it at Messrs. Miller and Ravenhill’s Marine Engine Works, Glass House Fields, London.
In 1842 he entered the drawing office of Messrs. Fox, Henderson and Company, Birmingham, remaining there until 1844.
He was then invited by his brother, the late Mr. J. W. Miers, to join him in Brazil, and in the following year they established an engineering factory at Rio de Janeiro.
Between 1848 and 1853 Mr. F. C. Miers undertook the superintendence of the Ponta d’Aria Foundry and Shipbuilding works on the opposite side of the bay ; but in the latter year he rejoined his brother at their own establishment, where an extensive business was built up in the construction of machinery of various descriptions, and in the building of steamboats for river and coast service.
The partners also undertook many Government contracts, including contracts for dredging, and for the erection of iron structures and lighthouses at Rio Grande do Sul and on the Abrothos reefs; the latter being erected under the personal supervision of Mr. Francis Miers.
Mr. Miers returned to England in 1862, and in 1866 he founded, in co-operation with his brother-in-law, the mercantile and engineering firm of Fry, Miers and Company, London, supplying steam-vessels, machinery, and other engineering materials, for railways and other undertakings in Brazil.
Mr. Miers married, in 1850, Susan Mary Fry, who survives him. In 1886 he retired into private life. Mr. Miers died, after an illness of some months, on the 20th February, 1908, in his 87th year, at his residence, Eden Cottage, Beckenham, Kent.
He was elected a Member of The Institution on the 3rd March, 1863.