Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Francis German Cowlrick (1876-1943)
1944 Obituary 
FRANCIS GERMAN COWLRICK , whose death occurred on 1st June 1943, as the result of enemy action, when returning to England by air from Spain, was for sixteen years vice-chairman of the Spanish Babcock and Wilcox Company. He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1905 and was transferred to Membership in 1916. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and for a number of years was a Member of the Societe des Ingenieurs Civils de France.
He was born in 1876 and educated at Dulwich College. After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. Brown and May, Ltd., engineers, of Devizes, from 1891 to 1894, he spent a year as an improver in the London works of that firm, during which period he attended classes at Finsbury Technical College. In 1896 he was made chief erector to Messrs. Townsend Brothers, of Leadenhall Street, London, and went to South America to erect sawmill plant and refrigerating machinery. After a brief period at sea as second engineer, he received an appointment as manager of the Gijon branch of Messrs. Sheldon, Gerdzen and Morgan, engineers and electric power contractors, of Bilbao.
Four years later he joined Messrs. Easton and Anderson, Ltd., and was engaged on technical work in connection with super-heated steam plants. He remained with that firm and its successors until 1905 when he began his long connection with Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox (which lasted for nearly forty years), with his appointment as manager and chief engineer on their behalf in Spain and Portugal. During his tenure of office Mr. Cowlrick was personally responsible for the design, erection, and starting up of several important steam-generating plants at Madrid, Lisbon, and other large cities of the Peninsula.
In 1918 he was appointed managing director of the Spanish Babcock and Wilcox Company and was resident engineer during the erection of the Company's new factories in Bilbao. He returned to England in 1927 and became vice-chairman. He was also a director of the Societe Francaise des Constructions Babcock and Wilcox, founder of the Babcock and Wilcox associated companies in Mexico and Brazil, and chairman of Bailey Meters and Controls, Ltd., instrument makers of Croydon.