Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frank Stannah Habell (c1874-1946)
1946 Obituary 
FRANK STANNAH HABELL was an Associate Member of the Institution for thirty-two years, having been elected in 1914. On the termination of a three years apprenticeship with Messrs. W. H. Allen and Company, Ltd., of Bedford, in 1896, he joined Messrs. W. Hill and Company, contractors, Westminster, and was employed by them during the next nineteen years on numerous dredging contracts and harbour works, the most notable being rock removal at Plymouth and Holyhead harbours, and dredging operations at Portland, Pembroke Dock, and Fishguard.
In 1915 he entered the office of Messrs. Topham, Jones and Railton, and was subsequently engaged upon the erection of steel works at Port Talbot. In addition he was responsible for the construction of explosive factories at Faversham and Wareham, and also was in charge of the cementation of St. Paul's Cathedral. From 1924 to 1930 he was resident engineer to the London County Council, for whom his most important undertakings were the strutting of the old Waterloo Bridge; the building of a temporary bridge alongside the old one; and the construction of the approaches to Lambeth Bridge.
Since 1931 Mr. Habell had acted as assistant to Sir George W. Humphreys, consulting engineer, Westminster. His death occurred on 9th June 1946 in his seventy-second year.