Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederick Arthur Hunter (c1887-1943)
1944 Obituary 
FREDERICK ARTHUR HUNTER was educated at the Haberdashers' Aske's School and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Vickers, Ltd., Crayford, from 1904 to 1907, and at the Wolseley Works, Birmingham, from 1907 to 1909. During the latter period he attended the Technical School. After holding brief appointments as technical correspondent and assistant to the works manager of the Wolseley Company, and as foreman in depots of the London General Omnibus Company, he went to the West Indies and was employed by the Havana Electric Railway and Power Company as assistant engineer.
From 1912 to 1914 he was in the service of the United Railways of Havana and was first engaged as engineer in charge of extensions to a power house, and later as general mechanical engineer under the locomotive superintendent. He then joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and the following five years were spent on active service, in the course of which he received a commission as engineer-lieutenant, R.N.R., and was twice mentioned in dispatches. In 1920 he received an appointment from Messrs. James Pollock, Sons and Company, Ltd., engineers and shipbuilders, London, as engineer in charge of installations of machinery, and in addition acted as supervisor of a fleet of coasting steamers.
Subsequently he was engaged on small ship contracts in the machinery department and was made chief engineer in 1928. On relinquishing this appointment three years later he became sales engineer to Messrs. Petters, Ltd., of Yeovil, and finally from 1935 represented Messrs. W. H. Allen, Sons and Company, of Bedford, in a similar capacity.
Mr. Hunter, whose death occurred on 13th June 1943 in his fifty-sixth year, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1919.