Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederick William Holmes (1887-1931)
1930/31 Obituary 
Frederick William Holmes was born in 1887 and after serving his apprenticeship with the Keighley Electrical Engineering Co continued with the firm as Journeyman Engineer and Fitter, and subsequently as Superintendent of Rolling Stock.
During the war he served in the Motor Boat Division of the R.N.V.R., and in 1919 was appointed Foreman of Repairs to United Automobile Services, Bishop Auckland.
He subsequently became Engineer to W. T. Underwood, Clowne, and just prior to his death had been appointed Certifying Officer under the East Midland Traffic Commissioners. He died in February, 1931, at the age of 43.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1924.
1931 Obituary 
FREDERICK WILLIAM HOLMEs, D.S.M., was born at Keighley in 1886 and served his apprenticeship with the Keighley Electrical Engineering Company, with whom he afterwards remained for two years as a fitter.
In 1909 he entered the Keighley Corporation tramway department, and in 1914 was promoted to be depot superintendent in charge of the maintenance of trackless cars and tramway rolling stock.
In 1916 he volunteered for War service and became engineer of a motor launch. He was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for services during the blockade of Zeebrugge Harbour.
In 1919 he became foreman in charge of repairs to a Durham fleet of omnibuses, and three years later was appointed engineer to Messrs. W. T. Underwood of Chesterfield, proprietors of omnibuses.
Later he joined the British Petroleum Company as assistant engineer at Manchester, and at the time of his death on 25th February 1931 was certifying officer for the Traffic Commissioners at Nottingham.
Mr. Holmes was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1925.