Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederick William Lacey (1855-1916), Borough Engineer and Surveyor of Bournemouth
1916 Obituary 
FREDERICK WILLIAM LACEY, born at Norwich on the 2nd October, 1855, died at Bournemouth on the 24th March, 1916.
In 1877 he went out to South America as Assistant Engineer to the Colombian Hydraulic Mining Company, and returning home in 1881, was appointed Engineer to the Brentford Local Board.
In 1890 he became Borough Engineer and Surveyor of Bournemouth, an office which he retained until his death. In this capacity he was associated with the tramway installation, the Undercliff Drive and other sea works, the erection of public buildings, drainage, road and water-supply works, and many other improvements carried out in Bournemouth during his tenure of office.
Mr. Lacey was elected an Associate Member on the 19th May, 1885, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 16th February, 1897.
1916 Obituary 
FREDERICK WILLIAM LACEY was born in 1856.
He served his pupilage under a leading London architect and subsequently was engaged on civil engineering work in South America for some three years.
In 1882 he was appointed engineer and surveyor to the Brentford Council, but also continued his private practice as an architect.
In 1889 he was appointed engineer to the Bournemouth Corporation, and this appointment was subsequently extended to include that of borough architect. During the period he held the above position he was responsible for the reconstruction of the main drainage, subsidiary and surface draining of Bournemouth, the remaking of the main roads, the building and enlargement of refuse destructors, the auxiliary water supply and pumping station, the construction of the whole of the tramway permanent way, and other engineering works incidental to his position. He was also responsible for the laying out of Meyrich Park, Queen's Park, King's Park, the East Cemetery, the West Overcliffe Drive, and the Undercliffe Drive. His more important architectural works were the Municipal College, the new Law Courts, the East Cemetery church, the three fire stations, and the designs for the proposed pavilion which have recently been sanctioned by the Local Government Board.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1898, an Associate Member in 1899, and a Member in 1909.