Frogland Woollen Rag and Mungo Works
in Dewsbury Road, Leeds
1866 'Serious Boiler Explosion at Leeds — A boiler explosion occurred on Tuesday morning, on the premises in Dewsbury Road, Leeds, occupied by Mr. Matthias Shann, and known as the Frogland Woollen Rag and Mungo Works. With the exception of the warehouse, the whole of the buildings were reduced to ruins. At the time of the explosion, there was a horse standing in Hill's Yard, Meadow Lane, and this was struck by a piece of flagstone, and killed on the spot, and a great deal of glass was smashed in the adjoining houses, and Maclea & Marsh's tool-shop windows. There were about 17 persons in the place at the time. In the room above the warehouse were some twelve girls, but though the roof was brought down about their heads, and they were covered with rubbish for some time, they were only slightly injured. Six women and two men are now lying at the Leeds Infirmary, whilst nine girls were removed to their respective homes. The engineman is severely scalded, and his left thigh is also badly fractured. The boiler is rent at the back part to the extent of about six feet in breadth, the plates so disrupted being crumpled up almost like a sheet of paper. The boiler itself is quite uplifted from its original bed, and deposited in a place nearer the chimney.'
Sources of Information
- Belfast Morning News - Friday 30 March 1866