Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Galloway, Bowman and Glasgow of Caledonian Foundry, Great Bridgewater Street, Manchester were millwrights and engineers
1818 John Galloway joins the company as apprentice
1831 First railway locomotive (2-2-0) the 'Manchester' was supplied for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. Only two or three were ever completed.
1835 Supplied a steam engine to the woollen spinning mill of James Scott on Bandon
1836 Henry Duckworth was boiler foreman
1839 Company closed. '...the Copartnership heretofore existing between William Galloway, James Bowman, and William Glasgow, at Manchester, in the county of Lancaster, as Ironfounders, Millwrights, and Engineers, under the firm of Galloway, Bowman, and Glasgow, was dissolved on the 11th day of October last, by the deaths of the said William Galloway and James Bowman, prior to, that date...'
1839 Advertisement for sale of equipment at the premises occupied by the late firm of Galloway, Bowman and Glasgow, Great Bridgewater Street, starting 24th June. A selection from the extensive list: Planing machine by Fox - bed 10 ft 2" by 2 ft with two pairs of headstocks and index plate; slotting machine - will slot 16"; three boring mills, having headstocks 18.5", 20" and 28.5"; vertical boring rod 19 ft 6" by 14.5" diameter with steel foot, two wrought iron racks, footstep, four neck brasses and brass wheel for traverse motion; four upright drilling machines; three screwing machines; over 20 lathes having 8" to 24" centre height; various smiths' and moulders' cranes, and large double geared crane calculated to lift ten tons, and portable double geared ditto, all with traversing motion; lever machine for proving cast iron beams; air furnace; three wrought iron cupolas; three punching machines for boiler plates, ditto for gasometer plates; Slide valve engines of 16 HP and 6 HP; hand gear engines 6hp condensing and 6HP high pressure; boilers; Lorries with broad wheels and iron arms; strong boiler waggon for five tons, large ditto for 14 tons; Patterns for stationary, portable, and marine engines, for pipes, drums, lamp posts, hydraulic presses, gear wheels 
1839 Advertisement for sale of equipment and premises. 'The steam engine is supplied by wells sunk in the land, connected together by a capacious tunnel, ....'. The land was offered in four lots, Lot 1 having a frontage of 76 yards on Great Bridgewater Street on one side and the Rochdale Canal on the other, and bounded by the works of Sharp, Roberts and of Thomas Worthington. 4388 superficial square yards. Contained three iron foundries, a brass foundry, smiths' shop on the canal side, while the Great Bridgewater Street frontage had a five storey building 101 ft long and 27 ft wide. Lot 2, superficial area 435 sq yds, was on the other side of the street, and was used for stabling, patterns, and setting-out rooms. Lot 3, 3216 sq yds, was on the other side of the canal, opposite Lot 1, and connected by a bridge. It was set up as boiler-making yard. Lot 4, 1724 sq yds, housed their millwright and engineering establishment, with fitting and machine shops, smiths' shop, offices, etc. It was bounded by Great Bridgewater Street, Trumpet Street and Albion Street.
1856 Became known as W. and J. Galloway and Sons.