Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,192 pages of information and 233,429 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Garrard Manufacturing Co of Ryland Street, Birmingham
1900 'A works chiefly devoted to the manufacture of cycle chains and cycle wheel gearing'
1900 July. An article about their bicycle free-wheel
These motorcycles were produced from 1902 to 1905, in Birmingham.
1902 Charles Garrard (presumably Charles Riley Garrard) began to import the French 143cc Clement clip-on engine unit to fit a standard bicycle. This was sold as the Clement-Garrard. It had an overhead exhaust valve, small crankcase and large external flywheel. Fitted inclined to the down-tube inside the frame, it drove the rear wheel by belt over a jockey pulley. Frames for the new model were made by Norton who also dealt with spares and repairs for Garrard and used a 160cc Clément engine for his own first Norton motorcycle.
1903 A 3hp narrow-angle V-twin model joined the single. It was intended for tandems but was used by Garrard in competition.
1904 A new design was offered. This had the engine vertically mounted just behind the front wheel, its weight hung from the down-tube and braced to the bottom bracket. Most of the frame was occupied by the tank and its compartments. Belt drive and rigid forks continued. They also advertised suspended, leading-link forks and a two-speed gear with chain drive. By revising the frame to suit the engine, the V-twin followed a similar format. A new tandem was announced - a forecar with twin front-wheels 4hp water-cooled engine, three-speed gearbox and shaft drive.
1905 The name is no longer recorded.
Garrard was a motorcycle produced in 1904 by Charles Garrard of Birmingham.
Having been associated with Clement machines Garrard went on to show a forecar tandem early in 1904. The engine was 4hp and water-cooled, driving back to a clutch, three-speed gearbox and by a shaft to the single rear wheel. Suspension was leaf-spring to the front and pivoted-fork to the rear. The passenger seat was fitted in front of the rider.
Although the machine proved its worth at a hill-climb that year, the idea was not expanded as the machine was, in reality, more of a car than a motorcycle.
National Motorcycle Museum exhibits:-
The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X