Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

General Steam Coach Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1841 Company formed with John Squire as the engineer. Ran regular services with a steam carriage from the York and Albany Tavern, near Regent's Part to the Manor House at Tottenham.[1]

A description of the Albert before Prince Albert is given in [2]


1841 'A carriage belonging to the General Steam Coach Company is now running daily, from the York and Albany Tavern, near the Regent's Park, to the Manor House at Tottenham, and back. The carriage itself is of a very simple construction, being somewhat in the form of a fly-van, with seats one behind the other, and capable of holding eighteen persons. The steam apparatus is enclosed behind, and at present has rather an unsightly appearance. There is no escape of steam from the engine, and, consequently, little noise — not more, in fact, than seems almost drowned in the ordinary rolling of the wheels. The whole framework of the carriage appears ponderous, but yet the motion is exceedingly elastic and light. The guide sits in front, with a passenger on either side, and sways the pace and movements of the vehicle with a kind of horizontal pivot-wheel with handles, like that employed in the steering of minor steam-boats. At the right foot of the conductor there is a sort of handle acting like that used to the tap-engines of taverns, which is drawn up and down to influence the speed of the carriage. The travelling is exceedingly pleasant — always with perfect ease of seat, and an average travelling pace of sixteen miles an hour can be preserved. This journey, a distance of nine miles, is performed in twenty-eight minutes The invention and manufacture of the carriage are ascribed to Mr. John Squire, the engineer.'[3]



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Morning Post, Saturday, August 14, 1841
  2. The Times, Oct 02, 1841
  3. Bury and Norwich Post - Wednesday 18 August 1841