George Adams (1829-1891) of George Adams and Sons
1891 Obituary 
GEORGE ADAMS was born at Broseley, in Shropshire, on the 13th of March 1829. His father was a barge-owner on the Severn, trading between Worcester and Madeley, at that time the centre of the Midland iron industry.
Mr. Adams' first occupation was as turner of a potter's wheel at the Coalport China Factory. In 1838, at the request of Mr. George Jones, of the Spring Vale Ironworks - a relative of Mr. Adams - his father came over and settled in Staffordshire, taking occupation at Spring Vale. Here Mr. Adams received a practical education in the manufacture of iron, and in 1850 he accepted employment under the firm of Messrs. Rose, Higgins & Rose, the celebrated ironmasters of Bradley, where he remained as stocktaker for eight years. While there he aided Mr. James Rose in the compilation of a (new) "Guide to the Iron Trade," which is still regarded as a standard work of reference.
In 1858 Mr. Adams was appointed sole manager to Messrs. Wright & North, of the Monmoor Ironworks, remaining in that position until 1872. While he was filling this capacity he started business on his own account, and founded in 1867 the present Mars Ironworks.
In 1872, feeling that he could no longer maintain the two positions, Mr. Adams devoted himself entirely to his own works at Ettingshall, which have now grown into one of the largest and most productive ironworks in South Staffordshire.
On leaving Messrs. Wright & North, Mr. Adams received an address from the work-people in which the following sentence occurs:— "We feel sure, in severing the tie that has now existed between us for fourteen years, we are parting with a dear, much-valued friend, who was ever ready to lighten the burden of toil by kind encouraging words, and in distress to assist and relieve the afflicted; and who, by impartial conduct between master and man, maintained that relationship in a manner deserving of our highest praise and gratitude."
Mr. Adams' connection with his work-people was ever of the most cordial character. His employees realised that their interests, safe in his hands, were identical with his, and his with theirs. Strife between them was of the rarest occurrence, and when others were disputing they were at work.
He was connected with several trading concerns, amongst them the Aldridge Colliery Company, of which he was a vice-chairman and director, and in which he had always taken a very active part. A few years ago, Mr. Adams erected a galvanising plant, which now converts large quantities of black sheets into galvanised iron.
Six or seven years ago Mr. Adams had a severe illness, but gradually he regained his strength, and to all appearance his health was re-established. Mr. Adams was a talented musician, and the founder of the Wolverhampton Harmonic Association. He was also a member of the County Council as representative of North Bilston, and in 1881 was elected a member of the Wolverhampton Town Council.
He became a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in the year 1870.