Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Careless Trewby (1842-1910)
George Careless Trewey (c1839-1910), chief engineer of the Gas Light and Coke Co
1911 Obituary 
GEORGE CARELESS TREWBY, formerly Engineer-in-Chief and Consulting Engineer to the Gas Light and Coke Company, died suddenly from heart failure at his residence, Fenton House, Hampstead, on the 19th July, 1910, aged 71.
Entering the Gas Light and Coke Company’s works as a pupil in 1853, he subsequently went out to Constantinople as engineer in charge of gasworks for the Ottoman Government, returning to England 2 years later to take charge of the Brentford gasworks.
Early in 1865 he rejoined the staff of the Gas Light and Coke Company, and acted as Resident Engineer at the Horseferry Road station until 1870. He was then transferred to the Beckton works, for the construction and organization of which he was largely responsible. He was in charge there during the memorable strike of stokers in 1872. For 7 years he supervised the carbonization processes at the several manufacturing stations, and for the last 20 years of his service he was the Company's Engineer-in-Chief. He was responsible for all extensions and reconstructions carried out during his tenure of office, and introduced a number of labour-saving appliances and other improvements at the various works under his charge. The coal-pier at Beckton and its mechanical equipment were designed by him, and are described in the Proceedings.
Mr. Trewby gave important evidence before several Parliamentary and Departmental Committees on matters connected with the gas industry. He retired from the service of the Company in 1904. Mr. Trewby was a member of the earlier gas societies, and was a founder and the first President of the Institution of Gas Engineers. He did good work in connection with various charitable bodies, with the direction of which he was associated.
He was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 6th March, 1866, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 27th April, 1875.