George Edward Folkes
George Edward Folkes (1883-1957)
1958 Obituary 
George Edward Folkes, who was born on 9th July 1883, was educated at Reddins Road Elementary and Secondary School, Peckham, at Goldsmith's Institute, and Battersea Polytechnic.
He joined W. and T. Avery, Ltd., Soho Foundry, Birmingham, in 1905 as a Draughtsman and subsequently became Departmental Manager of the company's Experimental Section.
In 1917 he became a Consulting Engineer and Chartered Patent Agent, acting for various firms including W. and T. Avery, Ltd., and Parnell and Sons of Bristol.
In 1922 he became a Partner in the firm of George Shaw, Bowker and Folkes, Birmingham, and continued in practice as an Engineering Consultant.
Mr. Folkes was elected an Associate Member in 1919, and transferred to Member in 1929. He was Chairman of the Midland Branch and thereby a member of Council from 1936 to 1937 and served the Branch in the capacity of Honorary Secretary for a total of 25 years, retiring in 1953. He was always tireless in devoting his time and energies to furthering the interests of the Institution.
Mr. Folkes was an Associate Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents.
His death occurred on 23rd October 1957.