Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Henry Davey (c1838-1911)
1912 Obituary 
GEORGE HENRY DAVEY died on September 8, 1911, at his residence, Woodside, Briton Ferry, Glamorganshire, at the age of seventy-three. He was a son of the late George Davey, who, in conjunction with others, built and started the Briton Ferry Iron Works in 1846.
The deceased was educated at Sidpot School and at Worcester. Entering the Briton Ferry Works in 1854, he became manager in 1866.
In 1889 the works were reconstructed, and the present Company, known as the Briton Ferry Works, Limited, formed; the deceased being chairman of directors, which office he retained until his death.
The deceased was also for many years chairman of directors of the Villiers Tinplate Company, Briton Ferry, and was connected with other local industries. He did not take a very active interest in politics, but was a Conservative in his views.
For many years he took a part in public life and was chairman of the Briton Ferry Local Board from 1870 to 1889. From 1894 until his death he was the chairman of the bench of the Port Talbot Petty Sessional Division.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1871.