Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George James Forbes Black (1875-1941) of Thornewill and Warham
Born the son of Roger Black, a Solicitor, and his wife Margaret Christie Forbes Kilgour
1942 Obituary 
GEORGE JAMES FORBES BLACK was born in 1875 and received his early training as an apprentice with Messrs. Douglas and Grant, of Kirkcaldy, from 1890-6, proceeding thence to Lincoln, where he was employed as draughtsman with the firm of Messrs. Ruston, Proctor and Company, Ltd.
For the next two years he found employment in a similar capacity with Messrs. Thornewill and Warham (later taken over by Messrs. S. Briggs and Company and known as Thornewill and Warham's Successors, Ltd.), of Burton-on-Trent. During 1900 and 1901 he occupied the post of manager of the Angular Hole Machine Company, of Nottingham. He then received an appointment as an expert draughtsman for Corliss engines, at the works of Messrs. Manlove, Alliott and Company of the same town.
His next post, in 1903, was with Messrs. Woodhouse and Mitchell, Ltd., of Brighouse, by whom he was employed as leading draughtsman, a position which he held for about eight years. His subsequent career, till his death, which occurred on 6th October 1941, continued to be entirely connected with mining engineering, and from 1910 till 1929 he was colliery engineer to Messrs. Thornewill and Warham, later becoming one of their directors. He also held the position of technical adviser at the Lilleshall Colliery, where he remained till 1933, when he was appointed agent to Messrs. Walker Brothers, of Wigan.
After acting for four years in the latter capacity he returned to Messrs. Thornewill and Warham as a consultant. He was an expert on devices for the prevention of overwinding, and for the control of winding engines at collieries, and was responsible for the design of some of the largest steam winders in the country.
Mr. Black was elected a Member of the Institution in 1912. He was also the author of several articles on the control of winding engines, which appeared in the technical press.