Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Stephen Coleman (1872-1933)
"THE LATE DR. G. S. COLEMAN. We note with regret the death of Dr. George Stephen Coleman, which occurred suddenly at his home at Withington, Manchester, on November 7. Dr. Coleman, who was Director of the Department of Municipal Engineering in the Municipal College of Technology, Manchester, lecturer in municipal engineering in the University of Manchester, and a D.Sc. (Engineering) of London University, was born on December 12, 1872. He was educated at Eastbourne College, and received his scientific training at University College, Bristol. He served a pupilage of four years, from 1891 to 1895, first under Mr. J. R. Workman and afterwards under Mr. A. P. I. Cotterell, during which time he carried out surveys for various undertakings, and was engaged on general municipal work. In 1896, he was appointed second engineering assistant to Mr. J. W. Brown, Borough Engineer of West Hartlepool, and for the succeeding two years was employed on the preparation of surveys, plans and estimates for a new sewerage scheme. Dr. Coleman came to Manchester in 1898 as second engineering assistant to Mr. T. de C. Meade, the City Surveyor, and, during the years which followed, was engaged on the preparation of detailed plans for covering in about 800 sq. yards of the Rochdale Canal, for three steel highway bridges and for a storm-water relief culvert, 10 ft. in diameter, about 600 yards long, and placed at an average depth of 80 ft. below the surface of the ground. In 1911, he became senior engineering assistant and continued to be engaged on designs for constructional steelwork, retaining walls, river improvements and general municipal work.
Dr. Coleman relinquished his position on the Manchester City Surveyor’s staff in February, 1914, and entered a private practice. Two years later he was appointed trench-warfare engineer for the North of England, under the Ministry of Munitions, and, in September, 1917, went to France, where he was engaged on special service for the Ministry of Munitions on the Western Front until March, 1918. He became Director of the Department of Municipal Engineering at Manchester College of Technology in 1923, and under his able guidance much progress has been made during the past ten years. Dr. Coleman was elected an associate member of the Institution of Civil Engineers on January 12, 1904, and received a Telford Premium jointly with Professor Dempster Smith, his co-author for a contribution, entitled “ The Discharge Capacity of Side Weirs,” which was presented during the 1922-1923 session. Dr. Coleman was made an associate member of the Institution of Municipal and County Engineers in 1923, and a fellow of the Institution of Sanitary Engineers in 1924. Three years later he was elected president of the latter body. He became a member of the Royal Sanitary Institute in 1923, and was transferred to the rank of fellow in 1925."