Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,643 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Wilson (1871-1942)
1942 Obituary 
GEORGE WILSON, WH.SC., was born in 1871, and at an early age travelled to the United States, where he completed his elementary education at schools in Wisconsin. On his return to England in 1884 he began his practical training (which extended over a period of nine years) with various firms in Sheffield, including Messrs. Thomas Firth and Sons, Ltd. At the same time he attended the technical school, where he studied with distinction, obtaining in 1893 a Whitworth Exhibition, in 1894 a National Scholarship and Associateship of the Royal College of Science, and finally in 1897 a Whitworth Scholarship. After a course at the City and Guilds Engineering College, he entered the drawing office of Sir William Arrol and Company, of Glasgow.
In 1899 he received an appointment at Edinburgh University and was placed in charge of the engineering laboratory; but in 1901 he went into business on his own account as a consulting engineer and also established an engineering works, the machinery for which was constructed entirely to his own designs. From 1915 to 1921 he was consulting engineer to the Sheffield branch of the Ministry of Munitions, Non-ferrous Section, after which he retired from his practice as a consultant and devoted his entire attention to his engineering business.
Mr. Wilson, whose death occurred at Sheffield on 10th January 1942, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1910.