Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,464 pages of information and 233,525 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Greenford Road, Greenford, and of Harmire Road, Barnards Castle, of North Lonsdale Road, Ulverston, Lancs.
1935 The Glaxo department of Joseph Nathan and Co formed a subsidiary, Glaxo Laboratories; new facilities were created at Greenford, near London. These works produced infant foods and pharmaceutical products, including later penicillin.
World War II. During the Second World War, Glaxo was crucially involved in the production of penicillin and by mid-1944 was responsible for 80 per cent of the UK's penicillin doses.
1947 Glaxo Laboratories Ltd became a public company and Joseph Nathan and Co ceased to exist. Glaxo Laboratories Ltd absorbed the Joseph Nathan company and became the parent company. Glaxo was listed on the London Stock Exchange.
1959 The Greenford works occupied a 28-acre site and employed 2,000 people
1962 Company reorganisation led to the formation of Glaxo Group. Glaxo Laboratories became a subsidiary, responsible for its own production and marketing in the UK.