Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,396 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Gloucester Electricity Works, Commercial Road, Gloucester.
1897 Robert Hammond presented a report to the Gloucester Corporation on options for an electricity supply and dust destructor works at Gloucester; the Corporation accepted his recommendations and decided to appoint Mr Hammond to plan and supervise the construction of the works
1899 Gloucester Corporation Electricity established the works, using the three-wire low-tension direct-current system of distribution - Mr. Robert Hammond was consulting engineer. The plant consisted of two small reciprocating sets
Subsequent additions of similar type and larger size, and later of steam-turbine driven plant, increased its capacity to 6,200 kw. The limitations of the site rendered further extension impracticable
1928 A contract was arranged for the purchase in bulk of additional requirements from the West Gloucestershire Power Company.
1942 Castle Meads Power Station, designed to replace the Commercial Road works, was opened