Goodearl and Sons
Furniture maker, of High Wycombe and Princes Risborough
1870 William Goodearl (b.1811) set up in Dovehouse Mead
His four sons, who were independent chair workers, later joined the business, Goodearl and Sons.
William left the business to his eldest son, with money to other sons to set up in their own businesses.
Grandsons Albert and Percy went into partnership with Ernest and Harold Dean.
1915-19 Established Navan works in Ireland which supplied Windsor chairs to the military but closed after the war because of security concerns.
1920/2 Expanded to Princes Risborough where chair parts were assembled and finished in the old British School.
Harold Dean married Edith Goodearl. The Company at Risborough was styled Goodearl, Dean and Co
1924 The company at Risborough became Risborough Furniture
1931 The Wycombe and Risborough companies were merged as Goodearl Brothers.
1938/9 Princes Risborough site requisitioned for aeroplane parts.
Post War made chairs from extruded and cast aluminium.
Specialised in kitchen, hotel, upholstered and restaurant furniture
1951 Whiteleaf introduced.
1970s Moved to Risborough
1979 Whiteleaf Furniture
1995 Employed 180-200 .
Sources of Information
- Furniture Makers of High Wycombe