Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of the English Copper House, Thames Street, London (1819)
of Cwm Avon Works, Taibach
1691 Incorporated by Royal Charter
1800 Copper mill opened at Taibach (not sure of the ownership)
1804 Steam powered mills installed at Taibach.
1841 The Governor and Co of Copper Miners in England arrived in Cwm Avon
c.1847 The Company was operating the Forest Works, at or near Morriston
1848 The Bank of England took over the mortgage of the Cwmavon works
1851 Great Exhibition: obtained Certificate of Honour for tin-plates, and Prize Medal for railway iron
1851 As a result of the passing of an Act of Parliament, proposals for reconstitution of the Company were put before creditors
1852 Cwmavon works was transferred to a reconstituted Company of Common Miners.
1855 Grande Medallic d'Honneur for railway iron at the Paris Exhibition
1876 Went into liquidation due to the general problems facing the iron-trade. Their great works (presumably Cwm Avon) had cost the Corporation over a million and a quarter pounds.
1881 Copper Miners Tinplate Co were successors of the Governor and Company of Copper Miners in England