Grange Iron Co
of Grange Iron Works, Durham, produced a wide variety of mining equipment, including steam engines for winding, haulage, air compressing and pumping duties, steam cranes, ventilating fans, compressed air locomotives.
1866 The company was first registered on 27th April, taking over the works of Mr W. Coulson, of The Crossgate, Durham.
1866 The Third Marquis of Londonderry, owner of Grange colliery, granted a lease to William Stobart that allowed him to pull down the mine buildings.
1867 The Grange Iron Company works were established on the site of the former Grange Colliery. The works were located very close to a branch of the North Eastern Railway; a short connection connected the works to the railway
1879 An advert in Slater’s Directory of Co Durham, 1879, as ‘Engineers, Smiths, Boiler Makers, Iron & Brass Founders and Manufacturers of all descriptions of Colliery Iron Work’
1887 the company was awarded two silver medals and a bronze at the Royal Exhibition at Newcastle for compound air compressing engines, air locomotives for underground haulage, and for colliery jigging screens.
1888 500 IHP two cylinder horizontal winding engine, now preserved at Washington 'F' Pit.
1894 Employed 600; the company manufactured all kinds of steam engines, machinery and colliery plant, including small compressed-air driven locomotives for use underground.
1925 Meeting of creditors.
1926 The iron works closed when it was amalgamated with Messrs Joseph Cook, Sons and Co Ltd of the Washington Steel & Iron Works
- Overhead cranes (see photo)
- Equipment at the Preston Colliery.
Sources of Information
- 'Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain: Vol 10' by George Watkins: Landmark Publishing Ltd
- British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816
- Old Glory Magazine, November 2012
- The London Gazette Publication date:8 September 1925 Issue:33082 Page:5931