Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
In 1901 and 1902, Charles Yerkes purchased the struggling Metropolitan District Railway - now the District line - and four embryonic companies for new lines under London. He proceeded quickly to begin construction work.
One of these was the Great Northern and Strand Railway (GN&SR) which together with the Brompton and Piccadilly Circus Railway (B&PCR) and part of a deep-level line planned by the District Railway between South Kensington and Earl's Court but not then built, together formed the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway.
1907 In an effort to improve their collective situations, the Underground Electric Railways Co (UERL), the C&SLR, the Central London Railway (CLR) and the Great Northern & City Railway began to introduce fare agreements. A number of fare agreements were established with bus operators to develop coordinated services.
From 1908, the companies began to present themselves through common branding as the "Underground".
1909 the UERL announced a Parliamentary bill for the formal merger of the BS&WR, the CCE&HR and the GNP&BR into a single company, the London Electric Railway Co (LER). This bill received Royal Assent and was enacted on 26 July 1910 as the London Electric Railway Amalgamation Act, 1910.