Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,699 pages of information and 232,163 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Victoria Station, Church Walks, Llandudno, Conway, LL30 1AZ.
See the website of the Tramway: Website.
1898 The Great Orme Tramways Act provided for the construction of a cable tramway rising to the summit of the Great Orme headland at Llandudno. It was promoted and operated by the Great Orme Tramways Company Ltd, and consisted of two separate sections, with the cable-winding house situated at Halfway station between the two sections.
1902 The lower section was opened from Victoria station in Church Walks, Llandudno, climbing to the Halfway station at an average gradient of 1 in 6.5. It was designed to operated on the funicular system, with a car attached to each end of a cable running in a conduit down the centre of the track.
1903 The upper section was opened on 8th July 1903 and connected the Halfway station to the Summit station at an average gradient of 1 in 15.5. After this the service was operated in the summer season only.
1932 An accident on the Lower Section resulted in 2 fatalities
1934 As a result of fear about compensation claims arising from the accident, the tramway company was put into liquidation and sold to the Great Orme Railway Ltd.
1949 Llandudno Urban District Council, who had powers to compulsorily purchase the operation at seven yearly intervals, exercised their option and acquired the tramway.
1957 The Tramway was converted from steam power to electric drive.
1974 Following local government reorganisation, control of the Tramway passed to Aberconwy County Council.
1977 The name was changed back to Great Orme Tramway.