Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,354 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Ealing Road, Alperton, Wembley, London, manufacturer/supplier of science teaching apparatus and other laboratory equipment
1954 Merger of W. and J. George and Becker and Standley, Belcher and Mason based in Ealing Road, Alperton with branch offices in Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh. A subsidiary, Griffin and George India Private Ltd., had a factory in Bombay, offices in New Delhi, Calcutta and Madras.
NIVOC & MICROID names were retained for basic lab essentials, glasswares, retort stands etc. (NIVOC) and education (MICROID) particularly items designed for the Nuffield curriculum
1954 Issued first catalogue of scientific instruments
1958-1973 Traded at Wembley
By 1960s had acquired R. and J. Beck maker of microscopes
1960 Won order from Russia for 13 gas-liquid chromatography apparatus
1964 Advertised themselves as being the world largest laboratory equipment and chemical wholesalers. By this time there are a lot of products listed made by Fisher Scientific of the USA
1966 Cut-backs at the Plymouth factory
1977 Gallenkamp was acquired by Fisons
Griffin and George Ltd, together with T. Gerrard & Co., formed the Education Group of Fisons Scientific Equipment Division.
1999 Company closed.