Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Griffith John Griffiths (1873-1940)
1940 Obituary 
GRIFFITH JOHN GRIFFITHS was born on the 4th January, 1873, and died at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, on the 16th January, 1940.
He was educated at Plymouth College and at Wickwar Grammar School, and received his practical training with Messrs. T. A. Walker & Company, contractors, being engaged on the Warrington division of the Manchester Ship Canal.
In 1891 he was appointed to the staff of the Manchester Ship Canal Company, and in 1895 became resident engineer on the Eastham division of the canal.
In 1899 he was employed by Messrs. Topham, Jones, & Railton as sectional engineer on the extension of H.M. dockyard, Gibraltar, including the construction of three dry docks for battleships.
In 1902 he was appointed resident engineer for the Thames Conservancy, to supervise the maintenance of river channels, locks, etc., from Cricklade to Teddington - a distance of l36.25 miles - and the reconstruction of ten locks and two large weirs.
In 1910 he became chief engineer to the Conservancy Board, being responsible for the maintenance of all channels and works under the Conservators' jurisdiction from Cricklade to Teddington, including the reconstruction of sixteen locks and forty weirs, the construction of two mechanical boat-conveyors, the construction of a dry dock and wharves, and river-improvement works between Shepperton and Teddington.
After his retirement in 1938 he practised as a consulting engineer....[more]