1914 Founded as Lady Workers' Homes.
1958 Owned 3 blocks of flats in Highgate and 5 blocks in St. Johns Wood, London.
1958 Name changed to Grovewood Securities. Under J. P. C. Danny, the remit was broadened allowing it to invest in manufacturing and trading companies. Eagle Star lent the company £163,000 with further loans in later years.
1961 Ordinary shares admitted to the Stock Exchange.
1966 Acquired Aerosigns (London) Ltd
Chairman is John Danny
1972 Acquired John J. Dunster and Son
1973 Eagle Star held 28.6 percent of the shares; the principal shareholder in Grovewood wanted to sell and Eagle Star was prepared to purchase which triggered a Competition Commission investigation.
1978 Buy Champneys Health Farm at Tring.
1984 BAT Industries acquired Eagle Star.
Sources of Information
- The Times, December 3, 1959
- Daily Herald - Tuesday 18 April 1961
- The Sphere - Saturday 23 March 1963
- Cheshire Observer - Friday 28 June 1963
- Belfast Telegraph - Tuesday 02 July 1963
- The Times, April 6, 1965
- Birmingham Daily Post - Friday 08 August 1969
- The Times, April 8, 1970
- The Times, March 4, 1975
- Buckinghamshire Examiner - Friday 23 June 1978
- Birmingham Daily Post - Saturday 13 January 1979
- The Times Mar. 5, 1986
- The London Gazette 23 October 1991
- Competition Commission