Gustavus Green (1870-1964)
1870 Gustavus Green was born in Hounslow, Middlesex on 11th March.
1881 Samuel Green 50, bootmaker, lived in Brighton with his wife, Annie Green 30, and Gustavous Green 11
He started work at the age of 13. His early career as a hairdresser and wig maker in Hastings.
1893 Married Joanna B. Easton in Hastings
c1894 Daughter Dorothy born in Hastings
c1895 Son Charles born in Eastbourne
In 1897 he moved to Bexhill on Sea with his wife, Beatrice Johanna, and their four children.
He established a cycle making and repair business in Weston Road and undertook engineering work for local businesses. He received no formal engineering training.
c1899 Daughter Constance born in Bexhill
1901 Gustavus Green 35, engineer, working on own account, lived in Bexhill, with Beatrice Green 27, Dorothy Green 7, Charles Green 6, Constance Green 2, Gwendoline Green 4 months
1911 Gustavus Green 41, designer of internal combustion engines, worker, lived in Bexhill with Beatrice Green 35, Dorothy Green 17,Charles Green 16, Engineer Apprentice Internal Combustion, Constance Green 12, Gwendoline Green 10
1920 Gustavus and Beatrice were living in Twickenham
1939 retired engineer (born 1870), lived in Twickenham with Joanna B. Green.
In 1905 Gustavus Green designed his first lightweight, water-cooled aircraft engine. He established Green's Motor Patents Syndicate (later the Green Engine Co). Actual manufacturing was carried out at the Aster Engineering Co. The firm produced a range of water-cooled, in-line engines up to about 1915. These engines were used by pioneers of British aviation including Alliott Verdon-Roe and Samuel Cody.
1909 Gustavus Green offered complete motorcycles fitted with his special cylinders with ohv and a copper radiator on either side. A divided tank formed the top member of the frame, with the front section carrying excess water. Belt driven, the machine was fitted with Druid forks. Green motorcycles were produced in 1909 and 1921 by Gustavus Green of Berners Street, London.
1911 Green was awarded the £1,000 Alexander prize for his design of lightweight aero engine; he was awarded another prize of £5,000 in 1914.
His later engines were too heavy for the aircraft of the time, but were used to power torpedo boats during World War I.
Then there was a period of some years when Gustavus and his son, Charles, were involved with the Regal-Green]] make of motorcycle, fitted with their water-cooled engine and keeping the ohv and 499cc capacity.
WWI Gustavus was involved with engine design for aircraft and motor gunboats during World War I, before retiring to concentrate on advanced ideas in horology and photography.
1921 The Green motorcycle appeared once more in the form of a 3.5hp water-cooled machine in its pre-war form. This was probably for stock clearance purposes.
After World War II, Green became involved in the development of the 'flexible deck' concept for aircraft carriers. His ideas for such a deck culminated in the successful landing of a de Havilland Sea Vampire, flown by Eric "Winkle" Brown, on an experimental rubber deck installed on HMS Warrior.
1965 Obituary 
Mr Gustavus Green, the pioneer of the aero engine, died recently at the age of 99 (sic).
Mr Green, who was a Companion of the Royal Aeronautical Society, had his first notable success when he produced the engine which powered Lord Brabazon's prize-winning plane of 1909. This was the first all-British plane to make a circular flight of one mile, a feat previously accomplished only with foreign engines. In the following year an eight cylinder, water-cooled V engine designed by Mr Green was used to power the airship Dirigible IIa, and another first was added to his list.
In the remaining years before the 1914-18 war, aeroplanes powered by Green engines won seven Michelin Competitions and the engines were awarded Gold and Silver Medals by the Aerial League, the £?0,000 Naval and Military Aero Engine prize and many others. The first successful British seaplane and the first amphibian used Green engines.
During the war Mr Green was asked to concentrate on producing power units for fast naval craft; it is sufficient to say that before the war ended he had constructed a 1000 hp marine engine. His engines were manufactured by Peter Brotherhood of Peterborough from 1917 until 1920.
He retired soon after the end of the 1914-18 war and devoted his outstanding engineering skill to making clocks and watches.
Perhaps the best permanent memorials and tribute to his genius are his engines; four of which, 35, 60, 100 and 150 hp models, are in the Science Museum.