Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,396 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 12 Union Street, London, EC2. Factories: Tottenham and Chesham. Telephone: London Wall 7004 and Tottenham 2468. (1929)
of 31-5 Wilson Street, London, EC2. Telephone: Monarch 2651-6. Cables: "Elreesonia, London". (1947)
Proprietors of Panurge
1881 Brothers Josef Eisenmann and Gabriel Eisenmann founded Eisenmann and Co, a German fancy goods and toy exporters. The British side of the firm's business, at 45 Whitecross St, London, was dealt with by Josef, and Gabriel dealt with the German side of things.
1900 Leon Rees moved from Germany to England and became Joseph's partner. Later he became his son-in-law.
1908 Chiltern Toy Works was opened by Joseph Eisenmann, at Bellingdon Rd, Chesham, Buckinghamshire. The company took its name from the surrounding Chiltern Hills. To begin with, the Chiltern toy factory only manufactured dolls.
1915 The first Chiltern bear, the Master Teddy, was made.
1919 On Joseph's death Leon Rees, inherited the Chiltern factory.
1920 The company relocated to larger premises at Waterside in Chesham. That year, Rees went into partnership with Harry Stone, formerly of J. K. Farnell and Co and a new company, H. G. Stone and Co Ltd, was formed. Rees was in charge marketing and sales - Stone of design and manufacture.
1921 A second factory was opened at Grove Road, Tottenham and the new company continued to use the Chiltern trademark.
1923 A range of bears called Hugmee's were introduced, and remained very popular for over forty years.
1924 The Chiltern Toys name was registered by the company.
1929 The Chiltern Works were constructed in Bernard Road, South Tottenham and the Grove Road factory closed. A new bear was introduced - 'Silky Teddy' - their first artificial silk bear.
1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of "Chiltern Toys". Teddy Bears in all qualities and sizes. "Teddy Rabbit", "Woof the Baby Chow", "Bunnymunch", "Cherry Ripe", "Dilly and Daddles", etc., also Panurge High Grade Animals on Wheels. (Stand No. D.34) 
1932 The firm was registered as a private limited company in December.
1934 Harry Stone died
WWII. Toy making stopped at the Chesham factory during the war, although some toys were still produced in London.
Post-WWII. Toy manufacture moved from the Waterside factory to the Amersham works at Chesham, another Rees owned factory.
1946 Increased demand necessitated the construction of a new factory and this was built at Pontypool, Monthmouthshire, Wales.
1947 The new factory began production and, at its peak employed a workforce of around three hundred people.
1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of "Chiltern" Toys, "Hugmee" Teddy Bears and Plush Animals. "Panurge Pets" and animals on Wheels, Sheepskin Toys and Cuddly Dolls, etc. 
1960 The Amersham toy works ceased production.
1963 Leon Rees died.
1963/64 The Chiltern and Rees companies were both taken over by the Dunbee-Combex group.
1967 Dunbee-Combex became a subsidiary of Chad Valley Co. A special Chiltern/Chad Valley label was used on bears made after this period.