H. H. Timbrell
H. H. Timbrell of Central Garage, Olton, Birmingham
In July of 1920, they created the Bulldog motorcycle. The machine had a bought-in 689cc sv flat-twin Coventry-Victor engine; a carburettor from B and B and a magneto from Thomson-Bennett. These were fitted into conventional cycle parts with the addition of a three-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox with belt final-drive. Having been assembled from various parts the result was very stylish. It had a sloping top-tube and a black-painted tank to which red panels had been applied. A complete sidecar outfit was also reputedly available.
As demand outstripped supply, due to the post-war boom, it should have been a resounding success, but after only three months, the project passed to Slaney Engineering. The machine was then retailed under the Slaney name.
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw. Published 2007. ISBN 978 1 8401 3967 9