Hall's Tramroad, Abercarn
1805 Benjamin Hall (1778-1817) started to build a tramroad to transport coal from collieries in the Sirhowy Valley to the tramroad and canal system of the Ebbw Valley leading south to Newport.
1811 The tramroad was completed - it ran from a location in what is now called Crosskeys via Pentwynmawr to Waterloo Colliery in Gwrhay.
1814 Extension to Manmoel in the Sirhowy Valley, linking from the Western Valley Tramroad, and thus becoming one of the few early cross-country east-west lines.
The tramroad, known as Hall's Road, had been relaid with edge rails to standard gauge by 1860.
It crossed the GWR Aberdare extension of 1857 at Pennar junction west of the tunnel.