Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,950 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
J. and E. Hall of Dartford Automobile Engineering Works produced commercial vehicles from 1906 under the name of Hallford (a combination of the company name and the location).
1906 Hallford produced a 25hp four-cylinder engine using Sauer patents
1907 Won Gold Medal for a 3 ton lorry awarded at RAC Commercial Motor Trials
1908 Showed a petrol-electric bus demonstrated at Coventry.
1909 Walter Gordon Wilson was asked to manage the motor department temporarily, which he did until 1911
1911 Producing own engines
WW1 Responsible for manufacture of a large number of chassis for Army lorries
1920 October. Exhibited at the Commercial Motor Exhibition at Olympia with a 5-ton tipping lorry
1925 Withdrew from this market
Built buses and trucks for sixteen years.
1923 Produced a rigid 10-ton six-wheeler
These early vehicles had chain drive, four speed gearboxes and Hall built engines.
Hallford provided chassis and engines for Hallford-Stevens petrol-electrics, who were a predecessor of Tilling-Stevens.
1925 The company ceased when wartime production only required lorries.