Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Electrical engineers, of 117 Bishopsgate Street, London.
1878 Robert Hammond began electrical engineering. Installed arc lamps to illuminate the works of various iron companies in the north east of England.
Subsequently formed his contracting business.
1887 The 1886 agreement remained in force except as regards electrical machinery which was subject to a new agreement between William Lowrie - engineer - and Charles James Hall who assigned to Robert Hammond - merchant in business as Hammond and Co - a one third share in their inventions and patents of electrical machinery for the U.K., British colonies and foreign countries, including electric "convertors".
1903 Went into partnership with son Robert Whitehead Hammond, also giving interest to Mr John May and Mr G. W. Spencer Hawes who have been his chief assistants for many years. His business was from then known as Richard Hammond and Son.