Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,385 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Harold Lincoln Tangye

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Sir Harold Lincoln Tangye (1866-1935) of Tangyes

1866 Born. Eldest son of Richard Tangye

1871 Richard Tangye 37, engineer employing 800 men, lived in Yardley with Caroline Tangye 35, Mabel Tangye 6, Harold Tangye 5, Arthur S Tangye 3, Ellis G Tangye 10 Months[1]

1889 Married Annie Gilzean in Bickenhill[2]

1935 Died in Marylebone[3]

1935 Obituary [4]

Sir HAROLD LINCOLN TANGYE, Bart., was the eldest son of Sir Richard Tangye, who with his brother George Tangye, M.I.Mech.E., founded the Birmingham firm associated with his name.

Sir Lincoln was born in 1866 and was educated at Queenswood College, Hampshire, and Owens College, Manchester.

In 1884 he entered his father's works and served an apprenticeship in the shops and drawing office until 1890, when he was transferred to the estimating department. From 1891 he assisted the managing director, and shortly afterwards he became manager. He was actively engaged in the development of gas and oil engines, and carried out much experimental work in that direction; he also contributed papers on the subject to various scientific bodies.

In connexion with the firm's interests he travelled to Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, and after his return to Birmingham he was chiefly engaged in developing the commercial side of the business.

Subsequently he became deputy chairman, and remained on the board until 1934, when he resigned on account of ill health.

In addition to his travels on the firm's business, he toured widely and wrote two books describing visits to South Africa, and the Sudan.

He was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1889 and was transferred to Membership in 1894.

His death occurred in London on 24th February 1935.

See Also


Sources of Information