Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Harold Thornthwaite Hincks

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Harold Thornthwaite Hincks (1873-1909)

1909 Obituary [1]

HAROLD THORNTHWAITE HINCKS, born on the 10th May, 1873, was educated at King’s School, Chester, and subsequently studied at the Chester School of Science and Liverpool University.

Having served an apprenticeship of 4 years to the late Mr. H. E. Taylor, in the Liverpool Corporation Electrical Department, he obtained an appointment as Chief Assistant Electrical Engineer at the Sandycroft Foundry and Engine Works Company, Hawarden, which he held from 1894 to 1898.

In the latter year he was selected by Messrs. John Taylor and Sons for the post of Electrical Engineer to a group of ten large gold mines on the Kolar Gold Field of India, and 4 years later, on the amalgamation of all the gold-mines on the field, he was appointed Assistant Chief Electrical Engineer to the Syndicate, and in this capacity he was concerned in the design, erection and working of the Cauvery power-installation, described in the Paper, which he contributed to the Proceedings in 1902, and for which he was awarded a Telford premium.

In 1906 he was selected from a large number of candidates for the position of Station Superintendent to the North Wales Power and Traction Company, subsequently taking over full charge of the works, and resigning at the end of 1907.

He died on the 20th January, 1909, aged 35.

Mr. Hincks was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 5th February, 1901.

1909 Obituary [2]

HAROLD THORNTHWAITE HINCKS, whose death occurred on January 21, 1909, was born at Chester on May 10, 1873, and received his education at the King's School, Chester, and the Chester College of Science.

He was for a short time with Messrs. Fawcus and Cowan, at Keswick, and afterwards became a pupil in the Liverpool Corporation Electrical Department, and with Mr. H. E. Taylor, of Chester.

From 1894 to 1898 he was chief assistant to the Sandycroft Foundry, Hawarden, and from 1898 to 1906 was electrical engineer to the Kolar Gold Field Syndicate in various capacities, finally becoming resident electrical engineer, and having charge of stations supplying 60,000,000 units per annum. In 1906 he was appointed station superintendent, and later chief engineer, of the North Wales Power and Traction Company, but shortly before his death he had taken up an appointment with the Electrical Company, Charing Cross Road, London. He was elected an Associate Member of this Institution in 1901.

See Also


Sources of Information