Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,991 pages of information and 232,842 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 19 Hanover Sq, London (1960)
of Hill Street, Mayfair, London (1961)
1928 Public company founded: Steel Ceilings
1954 Steel Ceilings became part of C. E. Harper Aircraft Co., Ltd which took over its Stock Market listing.
1958 Harper Group, of Hanover Sq, London had several subsidiaries:
1959 Name changed to Harper Engineering and Electronics; acquired Exeter Airport Ltd and Plymouth Airport Ltd. Acquired Samuel Platt Ltd. Business included electronics, nucleonics, automation devices, photometrics, small engines, petrol and electric vehicles. Other companies in the group were:
1960 Acquired B. O. Morris  and 6 companies in the Morrisflex group, C. D. Monninger, J. and S. Newman, Micalectric, Mills and Brain, Spembly. Advertised for further suitable companies to join the group. Acquired J. B. and S. Lees manufacturers of precision cold rolled steel strip. Linked with Hawker Siddeley on design of high temperature nuclear furnaces
1961 Manufacturers of light aircraft, also aircraft engineers and reconditioning of aircraft.
1961 New chairman appointed and several changes in the board to bring in people with industrial experience. The company had large bank debts and was only paying a dividend at the level announced because of an earlier promise Another subsidiary was Wilmot Mansour, specialist packers and shippers. C. E. Harper was managing director in February
1961 August: Mr Harper, no longer managing director, sued his fellow directors because they had taken decisions without allowing him to be part of the discussions. He lost the case.
1962 No dividend was paid. Refinancing was arranged. Sales of certain assets and some subsidiaries
1963 After 2 years of Mr Matchan's leadership, the company was making a significant profit
1964 Sold Wilmot Packaging to its directors, C. M. Wilmot and D. Knightly. Cooper Finance acquired J. B. and S. Lees. Harper had 12 operating units, concentrating mainly on steel and steel products, and machine tools
1965 Midland and Northern Counties Investments acquired Cope Allman and Co, Harper Engineering and Electronics and the "rump" of J. W. Young and Sons, all interests of Mr L Matchan, putting them into a new company Cope Allman International, largely for tax reasons