Hart, Son, Peard and Co
of 53-58 Wych St, London, 168 Regent St, London, and Grosvenor Works and Foundry, Grosvenor St. West, Birmingham (1883)
of 138, 140, Charing Cross Road, London, W.C., and Grosvenor Works, Birmingham,
Architectural Metal Workers (1914)
1817 Established by Joseph Hart.
1856 Hart and Son were at Wych Street
The business specialised in brass, iron and silver ecclesiastical fittings, light fittings and a wide range of interior and exterior architectural cast iron and wrought iron work. They participated in a number of International Exhibitions as well as regional exhibitions throughout the Staffordshire and Birmingham areas and sponsored prizes at various Birmingham Art and Design Schools
1870 Patent to Thomas Peard, of the firm of Hart, Son, Peard, and Co., of Wych-street, in the county of Middlesex, and James John Castle and Isaac Holmes, both in the employ of the said firm, in respect of the invention of "improvements in the apparatus for adjusting and securing the knobs or handles of locks, latches, and other fastenings."
1871 Patent to Henry Davis, of Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, Pattern Maker to Messrs. Hart, Son, Peard, and Co., of London and Birmingham, for the invention of "certain improvements in the mode of constructing sash frames and sashes, and hanging the same so as to permit the sashes to be reversed or revolved at pleasure for cleaning or repairing."
1875 Exhibited Church furniture and art metalwork at the 1876 Philadelphia Exhibition
1876 Awards for Furniture and for Forged metal work at the Philadelphia Exhibition
A number of notable designers, including J. P. Seddon, B. J. Talbert, William Burgess and William Butterfield, worked for the company which also completed many commissions for the architect Alfred Waterhouse.
The company had showrooms in Brook Street and Regent Street, London. It had a factory in Drury Lane, a foundry in Birmingham (which operated as the Art Metal Works from 1886 to 1913), and an additional foundry in Ryland Street, Birmingham known as the Islington Iron Foundry.
The Birmingham locations were supervised by Charles Hart, while Jackson ran the company finances and Peard ran the London businesses, with all three businesses entering marks with the London Assay Office.
1885 Supplied ironwork for the new Birmingham Museum and Council offices
1886 Exhibited 3 Grosvenor tricycles - tandem, sociable, and Cripps
1914 Specialities: Ornamental Wrought and Cast Iron, Bronze and Brass for Ecclesiastic and Public Buildings, Gates, Railings, Staircases.
Late 1950s the firm closed
Sources of Information
- 1914 Who's Who in Business: Company H
- London Gazette 15 February 1870
- London Gazette 15 September 1871
- London Gazette 3 December 1875
- London Gazette 13 October 1876
- Birmingham Daily Gazette - Saturday 07 February 1920
-  Sydney Living Museums