Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,754 pages of information and 232,400 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1832 The Hastings and St Leonard's Gaslight and Coke Company was formed by Deed of Settlement, with works at Queen's Rd, Hastings.
1854 the company was dissolved and reincorporated by Act of Parliament as the Hastings and St Leonard's Gas Company.
1900 The new works were built on land in the Bexhill area at Glyne Gap
1904 Manufacture started at Glyne Gap
1907 The new plant was in full use; the Queen's Rd works ceased manufacture
At first, there were no gasholders at Glyne Gap - Hastings continued as a storage station, the two sites being linked by a trunk main.
1925 Absorbed the Battle Gas and Coke Co.
1934 the South Eastern Gas Corporation acquired a controlling interest
1949 On nationalisation, the undertaking became part of the Sussex County Division of SEGB.