Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Hatcham Ironworks

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Pomeroy Street, New Cross, London SE.

1839 Established by George England whose business was later named George England and Co

1853 Constructed a new building on the site

1862 Another extension was built

1869 George England retired. Hatcham works was taken on lease by Robert Fairlie, George England junior, and J. S. Fraser.

Early 1870s Fairlie formed Fairlie Engine and Steam Carriage Co

1873 The newer building was occupied by General Engine and Boiler Co

1877 J. C. Eno took over the 1862 extension where he made Enos Fruit Salts

1882 The older building was occupied by Delta Metal Co

1901 William Henry Northcott still ran his business, General Engine and Boiler Co, at the Ironworks[1]

1905 Delta Metal moved to Blackwall Lane

The building later became Pomeroy Paper Mills

1935 Occupied by Reliance Foundry, now Maybrey Reliance

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Times, May 4, 1901
  • [1] Railway heritage of Hatcham Ironworks