Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
on Haulbowline Island (Inis Sionnach)in Cork Harbour.
The Royal Navy established a dockyard and victualling depot here, construction being virtually complete by 1824. The yard was closed in 1831, but reopened a decade later.
1873 Charles Andrews appointed Superintending Civil Engineer of the extension of the Naval Yard, consisted of two large graving docks and a basin with deep-water quays.
1880 Feeling the works were essentially complete, Charles resigned and was replaced by his brother John but the works ran into difficulties and were not finished until 1888.
The 1869 Dockyard site was occupied from 1938 to 2002 by Irish Steel (later known as Irish Ispat).
The main naval base and headquarters for the Irish Naval Service are located at Haulbowline.
'Support for the Fleet - Architecture and engineering for the Royal Navy's Bases 1700-1914' by Jonathan Coad, English Heritage, 2013