Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,056 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Head, Wrightson and Co, engineers and iron founders, of Thornaby-on-Tees and Teesdale Ironworks, Stockton-on-Tees
1840: An iron works was founded at Stockton.
1851: Teesside's first blast furnace was built, after iron ore was discovered in the Cleveland Hills.
1859: Mr. Skinner bought the Teesdale Iron Works.
1860 Joseph Wright of Teesdale Iron Works gained a patent on lifting apparatus for use in mines, also useful for raising heavy weights.
1860: Mr. Skinner bought the Cotton Mill.
1860 July: Upon dissolution of a partnership, Messrs Head, Wright and Ashby made a declaration about the ownership of 2 pieces of land in South Stockton and Thornaby.
1860 Joseph Wright left the partnership with Thomas Head and Joseph Ashby, under the firm Head, Wright and Ashby, ironfounders and engineers, the style of the firm being afterwards Head, Ashby and Co.
1860/70s built locomotives
1865 The firm made cast iron and wrought iron for boilers, railway chairs, naval ships, and many bridges across the world, the largest being in India. The firm employed 450 people.
1867 Alteration of partnership between Thomas Howard Head, Charles Arthur Head and Thomas Wrightson on the retirement of Thomas Head. In the same file is an undated draft agreement between T. H. Head and M. T. Shaw of 141 Cannon St.
1888 Head, Wrightson and Co exhibited a model of the Empress Bridge for the Indus Valley Railway from a design by Sir A. M. Rendel, as well as a hydraulic centre crane for steel plant patented by T. Wrightson which incorporating an automatic fluid balancing system.
1889 Rolling Mill Engines for the Bowesfield Iron Co
1890 Public company. The company was registered on 21 June, to take over the business of engineers and general contractors of the firm of the same name. . Mr. C. A. Head was chairman and Mr. William Anderson was managing director.
1890 The works was three times as big as in 1860, and covered Thornaby Carrs.
1892: The firm employed 1,200 people.
1900 Issue of preference shares for machinery for Teesdale Iron Works, Stockton Foundry and Egglescliffe Foundry (purchased in 1900).
1915 Built 6 of the 'X' lighters for naval use, 4 were powered and 2 were dumb craft. They were an early form of landing craft.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1955 Four industrial groups formed to exploit the information being made available by UKAEA on design of nuclear power "furnaces" - Industrial Atomic Energy Group involving AEI and John Thompson with electrical generating expertise from Metropolitan-Vickers and BTH; English Electric Co and Babcock and Wilcox; C. A. Parsons and Co and Head, Wrightson and Co; GEC and Simon-CarvesLtd.
1960 Advert for ore mining and treatment plant. Head, Wrightson Stockton Forge Limited of Stockton Forge Works, Stockton-on-Tees
1961 General engineers, designing and manufacturing equipment for winning and processing coal, oil and iron ore; reactors and other atomic plant; builders of bridges and other steel structures. 636 employees. 
1968 The firm employed nearly 6,000 people and mostly made boilers and other heavy engineering. Its factory covered 68 acres.