Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,754 pages of information and 232,400 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Heenan and Froude of Manchester, Birmingham and Worcester.
Originated as Heenan Construction Company of Manchester. Later responsible for the steelwork of Blackpool Tower, the original Austin factory at Longbridge, the Grand Stand at Epsom, Electric Power stations at Melbourne, Australia, and elsewhere, and the wharves and transit sheds at Rangoon, etc.
1881 Richard Hammersley Heenan purchased the works of Messrs. Woodhouse and Co. at the Newton Heath Ironworks, Manchester
1883 Dissolution of the partnership between H. R. Woodhouse and R. H. Heenan, of Newton Heath Ironworks, Manchester, in the county of Lancaster, in the trade or business of Engineers and Millwrights, under the firm or style of Heenan and Woodhouse; dated 4th day of February 1883.
Heenan Construction Company Ltd was established as general and structural engineers at Newton Heath Ironworks, Manchester.
On the retirement of Mr. Woodhouse, Heenan took into partnership a former colleague of his in India, R. H. Froude.
1884 Patented the spherical engine
1886 Branch established at Aston, Birmingham to manufacture miscellaneous machinery
1887 Constructed a steerable torpedo to the design of Colonel Lay; demonstrated at Brightlingsea before an audience invited by the directors of the Lay Torpedo Co; audience included Lord Charles Beresford.
1889 Supplied 1600 ft girder bridge to Chilean Railways.
1890 Constructed experimental, steerable torpedo to an Australian design, the "Victoria", at the Aston works.
1894 At work on the steel of the tower for Wembley Park
1900 Details of their Refuse Destructor. 
1903 Aston business transferred to Worcester.
1908 Built swing bridge for the main road across the River Esk in Whitby, designed by Mr J Mitchell Moncrieff, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (see photo)
1914 Specialities: Bridges, Roofs, Structural Iron and Steel Work, Refuse Destructors, Colliery and Mining Plant, Railway Wagons, Welded Boilers, Fans and Cast Iron Work. 
1918 A. Darracq (1905) Ltd acquired a substantial interest in Heenan and Froude construction engineers of Worcester and Manchester. Name of the parent company later changed to S. T. D. Motors Ltd.
1925 After considerable development work, received largest ever order for "destructor plant" in the U.K. from Glasgow Corporation with hopes for further order.
1933 There are over 300 Heenan Refuse Disposal Plants in successful operation in all parts of the world. 
1935 Heenan Construction Company Ltd, a private company, was formed to acquire the Newton Heath branch of the business (In January 1937, a new company Heenan, Beddow and Sturmey Ltd, was established to acquire Heenan Construction Co Ltd as well as 2 old established businesses: Beddow and Sturmey Ltd of Willenhall (designer and manufacturer of locks), and C. H. Pinson of Willenhall (manufacturer and retailer of locks). Mr Harry Lane would be appointed managing director. Prospectus published to raise capital for the new business).
1935 See Heenan and Froude:1935 Review
1937 The Worcester business continued to use the name Heenan and Froude and was converted into a public company with the shares listed on the London Stock Exchange. Products included dynamometers;, wind-tunnels for testing aircraft engines and plants for testing other engines including cars, submarines; water, air and oil coolers; multiple wire and strip forming machines. It was also the world's largest builder of municipal and industrial refuse disposal plants.
1937 Mechanical and constructional engineers. "Froude" Engine Testing Equipment. 
1937 Successful first year as a public company. Noted that Court Works Ltd was a wholly-owned subsidiary. Identified another speciality product that would balance the production of refuse disposal plant, much of which does not involve work by the company and so does not contribute to overheads. Expanded site at Worcester. Rights issue successful.
1938 Turnover increased by 50%; works fully occupied; the new speciality was locomotive gears, through an association with Caprotti Valve Gears Ltd in which the company had taken a substantial share interest; the Caprotti valve business is almost entirely for export.
1939 Chairman A.P Good told the annual meeting that the company had acquired the assets of Fielding and Platt. Investment in the Jones Gas Process Co Ltd was written off as, in view of the outbreak of war, it was unlikely to be generate the new speciality business that had been hoped.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1942 The company's refuse plants mostly operated on the salvage principle which fitted well with government policy; the company was investigating the possibility of converting the residue after salvage into manure for farming uses.
1943 Success of rights issue, mainly to pay for the Fielding and Platt acquisition; the company was mainly working on similar activities to peace-time which should make easy the transition after the war.
1945 Annual meeting told of progress - the refuse disposal business had not recovered from the hiatus during the war but there were many enquiries; acquired one of their competitors New Destructor Co Ltd; able to offer equipment for conversion of waste into manure; acquired Industrial Waste Eliminators Ltd, a company which converted residue from abattoirs; the engine testing side of the business had supplied thousands of plants during the war; taken licence from Dynamatic Corp. for the eddy current brake, which was replacing the Heenan type of hydraulic brake; considerable amount of general engineering work; expansion of site at Worcester; Court Works foundry at Madeley was considerably expanded; Fielding and Platt concentrated on light alloy extrusion press for the Ministry of Air Production and so had not been able to develop its expertise in rubber die pressing; Caprotti Valve Gears Ltd was merged into Associated Locomotive Equipment Ltd which now concentrated on diesel electric traction.
1987 FKI purchased Froude Consine, makers of dynamometers and vehicle testing equipment.
Now Froude Hofmann, with HQ at Worcester - website.