Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,004 pages of information and 230,628 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
New Henley were motorcycles produced from 1926 to 1931 by New Henley Motors, firstly of Doe Street, then of Warstone Lane, Birmingham, and finally of Oldham, Lancashire.
1920 Company formed as Henley, Blackburn and Co
1927 A wide variety of engine capacity models was announced, including 346cc, 490cc and 747cc.
1927 Name changed to New Henley Motor Cycle Co
1928 The company moved to Warstone Lane, and only JAP engines were used.
1929 All ohv models had two-port heads and, apart from a 300cc sv JAP-powered lightweight known as the Pup, cradle frames were adopted throughout. Both of the company directors, Arthur Greenwood and Johnnie Crump came from Lancashire, so another move was made - this time to the old Bradbury and Co works, in Oldham.
1930 Johnnie Crump was on his own and introduced a range of Villiers two-stroke models to augment the JAP range. These were of 172cc, 196cc and 247cc.
1931 The 172cc was dropped while all the others continued, but by the end of the year lack of money bought the venture to a close.