Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,112 pages of information and 233,645 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Croxton Loving (1877-1950) of Cammell, Laird and Co
1951 Obituary 
"HENRY CROXTON LOVING received his general education at Ealing Grammar School and his theoretical training (which extended over ten years, from 1896 to 1906) at the Derby, Leeds, and Sheffield Technical Colleges. On the completion of a five years' premium apprenticeship with Messrs. Smedley Brothers, Ltd., Eagle Ironworks, Belper, in 1897, he was employed during the next four years as junior draughtsman and assistant engineer to Messrs. William Cooke and Company, Ltd., Sheffield.
He then held short appointments with engineering firms in Sheffield and Leeds until 1905 when he was appointed chief draughtsman to Messrs. Cammell, Laird and Company, Ltd., Sheffield, becoming chief engineer in 1917. After occupying this post for twelve years he took up a similar appointment with the English Steel Corporation, Ltd., in the same city. In 1933 he went to India to become chief engineer to the Tata Iron and Steel Company, Ltd., with whom he remained until 1937. Shortly after his return to this country he was appointed by the International Construction Company, Ltd., London, consulting engineers, as their resident engineer for the building and erection of the complete rolling mill plant for the New Jarrow Steel Company, Ltd.
During the 1939-45 war he was in charge of the production of a large quantity of new plant and numerous extensions for iron and steel works for the same consultants. He also assisted his principals in various investigations, more especially in connexion with the report on re-rolling mills, which was submitted to the Iron and Steel Federation by the managing director. Mr. Loving, whose death in his seventy-third year occurred in February 1950, was elected a Member of the Institution in 1912. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers."