Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Enfield Taylor (1845-1904)
1905 Obituary 
HENRY ENFIELD TAYLOR, second son of the late Mr. John Taylor, was born on the 6th September, 1845, and, adopting the family profession, served a pupilage to his father in London and at the Sandycroft Engine Works, Chester.
On the expiration of his pupilage in 1868, he was appointed engineer in charge of extensive mining works in Cardiganshire for John Taylor and Sons, and erected a large quantity of machinery and mining appliances, sunk shafts, drove tunnels, and made a railway to the port of Aberystwyth.
In 1873, he engaged in practice on his own account as a Mining Engineer at Chester, in connection with which he visited France, Germany, Spain, and almost every part of the United Kingdom. For many years he was associated with the River Dee Conservancy as acting conservator and engineer, designing sea- and dock-walls on the estuary and, in conjunction with Messrs. Stevenson of Edinburgh, designing works for deepening and improving that river between Chester and the sea.
Among other works for which Mr. Taylor was responsible may be mentioned the Great Orme’s Head cable-tramway, the Hawarden Waterworks, the reservoirs at Bondy to receive the sewage of Paris, and the drainage-works at Halkyn in Flintshire. He also acted as Consulting Engineer to Nobel’s Explosives Co of Glasgow.
Mr. Taylor served on the Commission of the Peace for Cardiganshire.
On account of the extensive local knowledge which he possessed, his services were frequently in request for the purpose of giving expert evidence on Bilk before Parliament. He died at his residence, Grey Friars House, Chester, on the 7th August, 1901, in his fifty-ninth year.
Mr. Taylor was elected a Member of the Institution on the 7th May, 1884.