Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,450 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry McLaren (c1854-1929) of J. and H. McLaren
Midland Engineering Works, Leeds. (1901 10th August). 
1929 Obituary 
HENRY MCLAREN, chairman of Messrs. J. and H. McLaren of Leeds, had been a Member of the Institution since 1888 and played a prominent part in the development of agricultural engineering.
He served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Black, Hawthorne and Company of Gateshead, and later was for a short time manager of engineering works in Dewsbury.
In 1876, when only 22 years of age, he founded in conjunction with his brother, the late Sir John McLaren, the firm with which he was afterwards connected throughout his life.
He soon gained a reputation as an inventor as well as a manufacturer of agricultural and electric generating machinery, and much of his success was due to his practice of visiting foreign countries and designing machines specially adapted to their particular conditions, Mr. McLaren became associated with the Yorkshire College in Leeds in 1890, and maintained his interest in the University of Leeds, whose authorities conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws in recognition of his long services to them.
In 1903 he presented a Paper before the Institution on " Economy of Fuel in Electric Generating Stations."
He died whilst on a sea voyage at the age of 75.
1929 Obituary